Custody exchanges

What is a custody exchange?

These are exchanges of custody between the two parents which enable the transfer of the child from one family environment to the other, without the child being witness to the parental conflicts.

Who can use the services?

Custody exchanges are used by parents following an order of the Superior Court, the Youth Court or on a voluntary basis, where the exercise of a right of access to children is difficult or a source of conflict and in cases where contact between parents is prohibited.

Conduct of a custody exchange


The parent brings the child to the Petit Pont at the time agreed by the coordinator.

  • While waiting for the second parent, the child plays or talks to the exchange monitor for a period of 20 minutes.
  • The second parent comes for the child 20 minutes after the first parent leaves.
  • The exchange monitor intervenes as required and ensures the suitable condition of the parent before he/she leaves with the child. The monitor writes observation notes on the conduct of the custody exchange A parent may request an observation report.
  • No contact takes place between parents during custody exchanges.


As the child is the organizations first concern, he/she may refer to the exchange monitor at any time.

How to explain a custody exchange to a child:  My custody exchange at the Petit Pont

Waiting period

There is normally no waiting period for this service. However, due to an increasing demand, parents may experience a delay before using this service.

custody exchange regulations

  • Privacy policy

At Petit Pont, personal information provided by a user is confidential and is only used by the organization to offer its services. It cannot be disclosed without the consent of the person concerned. Written authorization is required for any exchange of information with referring parties or any other person (see regulations for details).

Requesting a custody exchange at Petit Pont

If you are ... a professional who refers a parent

The professional referring a parent or child is usually an intervening party from the Youth Center or a lawyer representing a parent or child at the Superior Court.

To make a request for services, the professional must contact the Family Service Coordinator, by phone at 1 866-773-2225 or

If you are ... a parent

The parent contacts the organization to open a service request. . The organization then contacts the other parent to validate the request for service. In Superior Court cases, the parent or referring party must provide a copy of the court order, if applicable.

A schedule is then proposed to both parties. When an agreement on the schedule is reached, the opening of a file is planned in order to meet with both parents separately and sign the contract agreement. The signing of the contract implies that the parents agree to respect the organization's terms and regulations. Services can then begin.

To place a request for service, please provide your name and contact information:

Request for an observation report

Two types of reports are available on request

  • Observation report: A document containing a record of the events observed during supervised visits or custody exchanges over a given period of time.
  • Chronological report: A document in which lists the dates of the services that took place or were canceled

Observation reports are written in French only.

Fees and delivery time

To obtain a report, anticipate a maximum delay of 3 weeks from receipt of payment, in accordance with the organization’s table of fees.


The conduct of custody exchanges is confidential and the content of the observation report can only be disclosed to parents and referring authorities.

Le coin des jeunes

Conception : Pika Design